Wednesday, October 20, 2010

The time of seeing each other as enemies is out.

I feel fortunate for my time with Nassar---his stories of growing up in the time of segregation and integration bring to life a facet of the experience that I have studied and read about. The more people I know, the more it becomes textured and illustrated powerfully. While there are moment so of solemnity, he tells his story with a patience and a faith that only emerges from the most perseverant soul who knows hope triumphs. I find myself paying attention aas he slowly speaks measuring his words knowing their worth. As our group photographer, I have downloaded nearly 2000 of his pictures many of which are on the blog and many will begin to appear.
Each morning I hear him leave shortly after the faint call for Muslim prayer at 4:30 am. I must have been so exhausted because I slept through the call, his leaving and his return. He wakes me up with just enough time to pack and get ready for a demonstration and explanation of the Juma’ah prayer. Having prayed with Muslims many time I am able to follow the explanations. Each of the Muslims took part explaining the service, chanting in Arabic, reading the translations. Imam Plemon gave a teaching which was oriented to interfaith connections. He explained that it is common for him particularly after returning home on a trip like this he would give the same talk—it was not just for us. He combined Koran, with Imam WD Mohammed, MLK Jr., the Dalai Lama impressing upon us our common humanity.
I was particularly impressed by a quote from Imam WD Mohammed, bless his memory, that Plemon shared and I would like to share with you:

The time of seeing each other as enemies is out. We must be pleased to see Muslims being good Muslims, to see Christians being good Christians, Jews being good Jews. We must want success for any people, regardless of religious who believe in goodness and contribute to the good of human life and the future. We must come together and trust, respect and appreciate our common essence and sensitivities as human beings. Let each of us work for a productive mind that will enter and affect a change of the soul not just for one people but for the good of all people.

A beautiful morning and it just started.

No comments:

Post a Comment